Shami kebab is very common Pakistani kebab, it is made with meat and graham lentils or chana daal. The meat can be of beef, chicken or fish. The method remain same for all kind of meat but the ratio of meat and lentils differ among them because white meat are quite soft as compared to red meet so beef shami kebab contains more quantity of lentils. These kebabs can be served as a side dish in dinner and can also be used in sandwiches.
1/2 kg boneless beef
350 gm graham lentils (chana daal)
10-15 dry red chili
2 tbspn coriander seeds
2 tbspn cumin seeds
2 tbspn ginger(coarsly chopped)
Salt to taste
water as required
1 tspn black pepper powder
1 tbspn hot spice powder
4-6 green chilies (chopped)
1/4 cup coriander leaves (chopped)
1/4 cup mint leaves (chopped)
Oil for shallow frying
|From Curries to Kebabs: Recipes from the Indian Spice Trail (Hardcover)|
|Kebabs & Tikkis (Hardcover)|
|KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment for Stand Mixers|
1. Take a deep sauce pan, boil beef pieces in water with red chili, cumin seeds, coriander leaves and salt. The quantity of water should enough to cover all the beef pieces. Boil the meat for 30 minutes or until they become soft.
2. After that when beef become tender and soft add graham lentils and add water if required (when all the previous water has been dried) and let it cook until lentils become tender and soft.
3. After that turn off the flame and let it cool for at room temperature so that all the steam escape out, then in a chopper put the mixture and chop so that the chicken and lentils would mix together with the spices. Don’t chop them too much otherwise you kebabs would break after frying.
4. Take out the chopped mixture in a wide mixing bowl, now its time to add the remaining herbs and spices i.e. coriander and mint leaves, green chilies, black pepper, hot mix spice and egg. Mix all of them together to make smooth dough of kebab.
5. Now take small piece from the mixture and first make a ball just like meat ball and then press it by using your palm and make flat circular kebab. Similarly, make rest of the kebabs.
6. Take a frying pan and heat oil to shallow fry the kebabs, Put the kebabs in the pan and fry till they become brown in color from both sides. If the kebabs are too soft to handle while frying then coat them in egg before frying.