These corn sticks are somehow similar to typical corn bread but there is a difference in the quantity of ingredients used. In this recipe the thick batter is used in the preparation instead of making soft dough. In addition with this in some recipes of corn sticks only cornmeal is used without any flour to get the rich corn flavor and hence the sticks would be more crispy whereas in this recipe to make the look smooth half quantity of flour is used.
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
¼ cup shortening (melted)
3½ tsp baking powder
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1. Sift together dry ingredients including flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
2. Mix with cornmeal and set aside.
3. Now in a separate bowl combine liquid ingredients including egg, milk, and shortening and mix them well.
4. Pour ¼ of this batter into the dry mixture and mix just to moisten the ingredients. After that make well of the moisten mixture in a large bowl and pour the remaining egg batter into the center of well and start mixing.
5. Now take a grease corn stick pan and pour the batter into each stick portion. Place the pan in preheated oven for 15-20 mins. at 425 degrees F until gets slightly golden brown from top.
photo source : 1