photo credit : 1
Preparation time : 90 mins. (approx.) | Serves 8 persons
This Battenberg Cake Recipe is one of a typical cake usually prepared for special occasions. The cake batter is prepared with almost the same method but to bake and assemble this cake is slightly technical. It doesn’t mean that you can’t make it yourself but if you follow the steps mentioned below than you could easily make it at home and save money.
12 oz butter
12 oz caster sugar
12 oz self-rising flour (sieved)
4 tbsp coco powder
1 cup apricot jam
2 tbsp lemon juice
16 oz white marzipan
1. Take two small bread loaf pans or take a 10×7 ½ inch baking tin, I took the second one. Line the baking pan with parchment sheet and grease it.
2. To make partition in the pan, place another parchment sheet in the center lengthwise and set aside.
3. Now, start preparing cake batter, for that you need to cream together butter and sugar until become light and fluffy.
4. After that egg one at a time and add 1 tbsp if flour after adding each egg. Continue beating while adding eggs and flour.
5. When all the eggs are mixes well and form a foamy batter, then add remaining flour and mix it using spatula.
6. Pour half of the cake batter into one of the portion of prepared pan and level it evenly from the top.
7. Now, in the remaining batter add coco powder and mix well using spoon.
8. Pour this coco batter into another portion of cake pan and level it from top.
9. Place the pan in preheated oven at 375 degrees F for 45-50 mins . or until toothpick inserted comes out clean from the center.
10. When the cake is ready, cool it to room temperature and then carefully transfer it to the counter.
11. Discard the parchment lining from the center and then carefully separated the two portions.
12. Now, carefully divide both portions into two pieces horizontally and set aside.
13. Now heat apricot jam with lemon juice for just 2-4 mins. until it melts completely then pass this melted jam from the strainer.
14. Apply this melted jam using brush to inner side of each white and brown cakes and join them. Similarly brush the jam on top of them and place brown cake piece onto white and vise versa. Press firmly to stick them together.
15. Roll the marzipan out to around 12 x9 inch size.
16. Carefully brush the base of the cake with jam and then place it into the center of marzipan.
17. Now apply jam all over the cake surface and then fold the marzipan up the sides and over the top of the cake. Press the sides firmly to make sure that it sticks to the cake.
18. Apply cake decorative as needed or just make marks using knife-edge to give decorative patterns.
19. In the end, dust the cake with caster sugar if desired, delicious Battenberg Cake is now ready to serve.