Preparation time : 60 min + Chill time| Serves 6-8 persons
This recipe for coconut cake is prepared in the same fashion as sponge cake except addition of coconut flavor in the batter and topping. You can make variations in the topping by adding cherries, strawberries to give it some color or even use food color with the coconut for topping.
4 oz plane flour
4 oz icing sugar
4 oz butter melted (or 2 oz oil and 2 oz butter)
2-3 tbsp milk
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup coconut
1 tsp coconut flavoring
1½ cup milk
1/1 cup sugar
Whipped cream as required
1 cup coconut
1. Prepare cake batter according to the sponge cake recipe then fold this batter nicely with coconut.
2. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 20-30 min until knife inserted comes out clean.
3. Mean while prepare syrup using ½ cup sugar, coconut flavoring and 1½ cup milk. Bring this mixture to boil over medium heat then remove from heat and cool it to room temperature.
4. Poke cake with fork from top and then pour the prepared mixture over the warm cake and set aside.
5. cut the cake horizontally from the center and make layer of whipped cream over the lower piece of cake, then place the upper side over the cream layer and cover the cake completely with remaining whipped cream. In the end, sprinkle coconut over the whole cake so that it would stick to the cream from every side.
6. Chill the cake for at least 30 min then serve by cutting it into pieces.
photo source : 1
The coconut used in the cake, is it freshly grated coconut?