Preparation time : 30 min | Serves 2 persons
This handi chicken recipe is one of a famous Pakistani recipe which is prepared in traditional clay pot called handi. Handi pot is used in cooking various other curry recipes like Indian chicken curry. If you haven’t any Handi then pour some hot butter on top or use beanpot for cooking this delicious recipe.
1 lb boneless chicken
2 medium onion (chopped)
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp red chili powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
3 large tomatoes (peeled and make smooth paste)
1 cup heaped yogurt
1 tsp cumin (crushed)
½ tsp black pepper powder
1 tbsp coconut powder
1 tsp dry fenugreek (Sookhi meethi)
3 – 4 green chilies
1 tbsp ginger (Julienne)
½ cup cream
1 tbsp flour
½ tsp garam masala powder
3 tbsp oil
2 tbsp butter
1. Blend together tomatoes, onion and green chilies and make smooth paste.
2. In a sauce pan fry chicken in 3-4 tbsp oil with ginger garlic paste until become white in color then remove all the chicken with oil from pan.
3. In the same pan ad 2 tbsp of oil and cook onion paste until become dry and light brown in color. If necessary gradually add oil from chicken and cook for 10-15 min over medium heat.
4. Add chicken and cook gently over medium-high heat for 5 min more so that bubbles of oil starts to appear at the sides of the pan.
5. Add 1 cup water and red chili powder and cook for 2-3 min.
6. Then add cumin powder and coconut powder and cook for further 3-4 min. After that ad 2-3 cups of water and simmer for 15 min or until chicken tender completely.
7. After that add fenugreek leaves and black pepper and simmer for 5 min.
8. When gravy becomes slightly thick add yogurt and cook for 5 min over medium heat.
9. Then add cream and cook for 5 min more over low heat.
10. Dissolve flour in 1 tbsp of water and add it to the gravy, stir well while adding. The gravy starts to get thick (you may add more flour if you want thick gravy). Add salt and simmer it for further 5 min.
11. Meanwhile heat beanpot or handi, melt butter in it, add garam masala powder and pour whole chicken gravy in the pot. Immediately turn off the flame and cover for 3-4 min.
12. At the time of serving add julienne ginger and crushed coriander leaves on top and serve with naan.
photo source : 1