Preparation time: 25 mins. + Refrigeration time | Serves 2 dozen cookies
These Spumoni Cookies are the famous Irish cookies that are prepared in an entirely different way. These cookies are three-layer colors of different colors, each layer has a different flavors like candied cherries, chocolate, and nuts. These layers are stacked and refrigerated, then cut into slices before going into the oven. These cookies also have a delicious taste.
1 cup butter (softened)
1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2½ cups all-purpose flour
2 oz semisweet chocolate
½ cup pecans (chopped)
5-6 drops of pistachio essence
¼ cup candied red cherries (finely chopped)
½ tsp almond extract
3-5 drops of red food color
1. Beat together butter and sugar for 3-5 mins. till become creamy.
2. Add egg and vanilla and beat again to mix well.
3. Then gradually add flour and mix till becomes a soft and smooth dough.
4. Divide the dough into three equal portions and make them into round shape balls.
5. Melt chocolate over steamed water and mix it into one of the balls and set aside.
6. Add chopped pecans and pistachio essence to the second ball, mix, and set aside.
7. Similarly, add candied cherries and almond extract to the third ball, mix, and set aside. Now you have three color balls red, green, and chocolate.
8. Roll out each ball separately to a longitudinal shape of thickness ¼”. Then place the chocolate dough on a piece of plastic wrap, place the green and pink dough on top, and press together lightly just to remove empty space between them. Cover the loaf with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
9. After that cut the loaf into half lengthwise and then cut into 1/8” slices, place these slices onto the greased and floured baking sheet keeping 1” distance between each slice.
10. Bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees F for just 5-7 mins. or until set. Don’t overbake, they would become harder.
photo source : 1