Preparation time : 70 mins. | Serves 16 pieces
Baklava is basically originate from Mediterranean cuisine but now it is prepared according to different cuisines. In this recipe nuts filling are prepared with sugar which is not necessary you can only put roasted nuts in between the layers and in the end pour the sugar syrup from top.
16 oz package filo dough
1 cup chopped almonds
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
8 oz butter
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup honey
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a sauce pan melt half amount of butter then add all the nuts and raisins. Roast in butter for just 2-3 mins.
3. Add sugar, honey, vanilla extract and cinnamon to the nuts and cook them together until all the sugar melts completely. It would take 4-5 mins.
4. Now wrap all the filo dough in a damped cloth so that they would remain soft.
5. Take a round or square shape wide baking pan and grease it well with butter.
6. Spread two sheets of filo on the pan and apply butter to the whole sheet. Repeat this step four times until 8 sheets layer have been formed.
7. After that spread half of the nut mixture over the sheet and cover it with two more filo sheets.
8. Again spread the remaining nuts mixture over the filo and then cover the stuffing with the fillo in the same way as it is done for the first step i.e. make 8 layers of filo and after every two layer apply butter to the sheet.
9. Now take a sharp knife to cut the prepared baklava. You may either cut into squares or in diamond shape.
10. After that place the baking pan in preheated oven and bake for at least 50 mins. until it would become golden in color from top and crisp.
11. Baklava is now ready to serve, you may also make it little soft by adding some hot sugar syrup on top.