Preparation time : 35 mins. | Serves 1 medium pan
Basbousa Recipe is an Arabian dessert which is also called semolina cake as its shape resembles with the cake. It is first prepared by baking the semolina mixture and then soaked in sugar syrup. This can be topped with almonds, pistachio, coconut, etc.
1 cup semolina
1 cup milk powder
¾ cup sugar
½ cup oil
300 gm cream
1 tbsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp rosewater
1. Combine all the ingredients mentioned for cake and mix them well.
2. Take a greased rectangular baking dish and pour the batter in it.
3. Place the dish in preheated oven at 375 degrees F for about 30 mins. or until it become golden brown from top. Make sure that knife inserted comes out clean from the center to ensure basbousa is fully baked.
4. Meanwhile prepare syrup, for that you need to cook all the ingredients of syrup together in a saucepan and bring the mixture to boil. Then reduce the flame to low and cook for further 20-30 mins. till syrup becomes slightly thick. After that cool the syrup to room temperature.
5. Take out the basbousa from the oven when it is done then make mark for the pieces and then pour the prepared syrup onto the basbousa.
6. You may either serve it as hot or chilled with topping of almonds, pistachio or coconut.
photo source : 1