This Kunafa recipe is taken from Arabian cuisine where it is a very famous sweet. It can be prepared in variety of ways by making different variations in the filling, here in this recipe cream filling is used prepared with milk and rice flour while yogurt filling, candied nuts filling are also used in the filling.
For Syrup :
2 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 tbsp lemon juice
For Filling :
½ cup rice flour
4 cup whole milk
½ cup heavy cream
4 tbsp sugar
1 lb kataifi pastry (defrosted)
10 oz unsalted butter (melted)
⅓ cup chopped pistachios for garnishing
1 To prepare syrup for this kunafa recipe combine ingredients for syrup in a saucepan and cook till sugar melts completely and syrup would get medium consistency i.e. when it is dropped from spoon it would drop easily but leave some residue on the spoon. Don’t over cook the syrup so that foam would appear on surface otherwise when it is chilled it will be firm like sugar.
2. Now boil milk in another saucepan, then add rice flour and stir continuously so that no lumps would be there.
3. After that add cream and mix well. Then reduce heat to simmer for at least 15 mins., stirring occasionally to avoid sticking.
4. Then add sugar and cook till sugar dissolves completely then remove the pan from heat and set aside.
5. Now to prepare pastry take a large bowl, add Kataifi pastry, breaking all its strings apart with hands, then mix with melted butter.
6. Take a medium pie pan or any baking pan, make a layer of half of Kataifi pastry and press it down. Then add cream filling and smooth out, then cover the filling with remaining Kataifi pastry and press it down lightly.
7. Place the pan in preheated oven for 40-45 mins. at 350 degrees F until become golden brown.
8. After that pour half of the chilled sugar syrup over the pastry, top with some chopped pistachios and serve this awesome kunafa recipe after cool it to room temperature.
photo source : 1