Preparation time : 1 hr. | Serves 6 persons
This is a different style of cooking fish with potatoes.This fish curry is a bit spicy and a yummy meal for seafood lovers. If you want to make stew for fish in this recipe then just add more water before adding fish to potato mixture. If its stew is made with only little quantity of spices and oil, it becomes a healthy food which can also be eaten by people with heart diseases. So this recipe has lots of variations and you can make it according to your taste as I have made it according to mine.
1 kg fish (make medium pieces)
5 medium size potato (cut each into two pieces)
1 tbspn ginger paste
1 tbspn garlic paste
1 tspn fennugreek seeds
1 tbspn red chili powder
1/2 tbspn turmeric powder
2 onion (boiled and mashed)
3 medium size tomato
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tspn coriander seeds
1 tspn carom (ajwain)
1 tspn saunf (fennel seeds)
Salt to taste
1/2 cup mustard oil
|Calphalon Commercial Hard-Anodized 12-Inch Everyday Pan with Lid|
|All-Clad Stainless-Steel Fry Pan|
|Global Fish Spatula|
|Oster BPST02-B Professional Series Blender, Black|
1. Marinate the fish pieces in the spices mentioned in fried fish recipe and shallow fry these pieces.
2. In a blender, blend tomato and boiled onions. I use cuisinart hand blender for this purpose which is easy to handle.
3. In a sauce pan, heat oil and fry fennugreek seeds.
4. When fennugreek seeds turn black, add ginger garlic paste, red chili and turmeric powder and cook for 2 mins.
5. After that, add onion tomato paste and cook for 5-10 mins on medium heat until oil starts to separate from the gravy.
6. Now add potato pieces and water so that potato become tender or soft.
7. When potato become completely cook, put fried fish pieces on the potato gravy very carefully and don’t try to put one piece on other because the pieces may break and will not look good. Cover the pan and let it cook for 5-8 mins so that all flavors absorbs in the fish.
8. In a fry pan, put 2 tbspn of oil, add cumin seeds and roast them for a minute when smell starts to come put coriander seeds, carom and fennel and roast them to turn brown.
9. Pour the fried mixture of seeds and oil onto the fish potato gravy and switch off the flame.