When making curries, I most of time time select mutton since it has low calories and requires lesser cooking time as compared to beef. In many European cuisines, mutton is roasted or taken in chops as a meal but in South Asian cuisine different types of mutton curries are cooked and this mutton curry recipe is one them which is very delicious, easy to make and considered as healthy meals.
300 gms mutton pieces
2 big onions (julienne)
3 medium size tomatoes (chopped)
1 tbspn garlic paste
1 tbspn ginger paste
1 tspn rec chili powder
½ tbspn crushed red chili
1 tbspn crushed coriander seeds
½ tbspn crushed cumin seeds
1 tspn turmeric powder
3-4 cinnamon sticks
5-6 black pepper seeds
Salt to taste
½ tspn all spices powder
3 green chilies
4 tbspn oil
1. Heat oil in the pan, fry half of the onions in the oil till it becomes light golden in color.
2. Add chopped tomato, ginger garlic paste, salt and mutton pieces in it and stir well for 2-3mins, then cover the pan and leave for 10mins to cook.
3. After 10mins when water of meat start to dry stir and cook for 3-4mins on high heat till oil starts to separate, then add red chili powder, turmeric powder, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon sticks, black pepper seeds and add a cup of water and stir well. Leave the meat to cook for 15mins more
4. Add crushed red chili, crushed coriander seeds, cumin seeds, all spice powder, green chilies whole and rest of onions in it and add very little water (if necessary) and cook for 10mins more.
5. When oil starts to appear on top of the gravy, turn of the stove. Mutton curry is ready to serve.
Serve this delicious mutton curry with naan, chapatti or boiled rice.