Preparation time: 2 hrs. | Serves 8 large knishes
Potato Knish is a bread roll filled with an easy potato filling and it can be prepared either by baking or deep frying. There is various methods to assemble the filling into the dough to make rolls. The method mentioned in this recipe makes large size knishes if you want to make small knishes you can directly put half of the filling on one side of the rolled dough, roll it and cut using a knife. This method is best when you have to make knishes for large gatherings.
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 egg (lightly beaten)
½ cup vegetable oil
1 tsp white vinegar
½ cup water
1 lb russet potatoes (peeled and boiled)
2 tbsp butter
½ cup finely sliced scallion (separate whites and greens)
2-3 cloves garlic (chopped)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 egg (lightly beaten)
1. To prepare the dough, in a large bowl combine dry ingredients including flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. In another bowl, whisk together egg, vegetable oil, vinegar, and water.
3. Pour the liquid mixture onto the dry mixture and start mixing using a wooden spoon or you may use your hands until a soft smooth dough would form. Use extra flour while kneading if needed. Then put the down into the greased bowl, cover with plastic and leave it for at least an hour in the refrigerator. Make sure that you should take out the dough from the fridge for 30 mins. before using it to bring the dough to room temperature.
1. Meanwhile prepare the filling, coarsely mash the boiled potatoes and set aside.
2. In a saucepan, heat butter until it melts then add onion whites, and garlic and saute till become soft and caramelized a little bit. It would take around 5 mins.
3. Add the caramelized mixture to the mashed potatoes along with onion greens, salt, and pepper and mix them well.
4. Preheat to 375°F. Divide the dough in half and start rolling it into a wide, thin rectangular shape with ¼ -an inch thickness and cut it into 4 equal strips.
5. Divide the filling into 8 equal balls. Place one of a ball on one end of a strip and start rolling to another end. Now pinch and stretch the dough at one of the open sides to seal the filling and then place it into the greased and lined baking sheet. Similarly, prepare the rest of the knishes.
6. In the end brush the knishes with beaten egg and bake in preheated oven for around 45 mins. until becomes golden brown.
photo source : 1