Preparation time : 40 min. + 30 min Marinating time | Serves 8-10 persons
This recipe of deep fried turkey is one of an easy and delicious recipe that can be prepared for Thanksgiving. You may use the turkey fryer for getting perfect result or simply use large wok and thermometer for frying as mentioned in the recipe.
10 lb whole turkey (remove the neck and giblets and dry after wash)
1 ½ tsp sweet paprika
¾ tsp dried thyme (crushed)
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper
Salt to taste
Peanut oil for deep frying
1. Make marinade for the turkey by mixing sweet paprika, thyme, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper and salt.
2. Marinate turkey with the prepared mixture and rub it using hands so that skin on the turkey gets loose and rub it from inside the skin. Marinate the inner body cavity also, it is better to make some cuts at breast and leg side so that all the flavors of spices absorb in the meat. Leave the marinade turkey for at least 30 min.
3. Meanwhile preheat oil to moderate temperature i.e. 350 degrees F. If you have a turkey fryer then it would be the best way to fry turkey properly.
4. When marinating time is over, tie the legs and wings of turkey using its loosen skin and then put in the fryer basket. Transfer the basket in preheated oil and then fry till become golden brown from every side. It would take almost 30 min or you can check by inserting thermometer into the meat part of turkey if it points to 180 degrees F then the turkey is done and transfer it to the wire rack so that extra oil drains out.
5. Place the fried turkey into the serving platter and make its pieces for serving after cooling to room temperature.
photo source : 1