Preparation time : 1-2 hrs. + Few days for fermentation
Kimchi is actually a Korean style vegetable pickle prepared with some aroma of seafood. This Kimchi Recipe is prepared with veggies including cabbage, daikon radish and green onion with hot and spicy flavor of Korean red pepper and some other seasonings.
2 lb head napa or chinese cabbage (cut into rectangular pieces)
¼ cup non-iodized salt
6 cloves garlic (grated)
1 tsp ginger (grated)
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp fish sauce
4 tbsp Korean red pepper paste
8 oz daikon radish (peeled and julienned)
4 green onions whole (cut into 1-inch pieces)
1. Take a large bowl and make salt water by mixing salt and 1 cup of water.
2. Soak cabbage pieces in the salt water (add more water to cover the whole cabbage) and leave for 1-2 hrs.
3. After that drain the cabbage and rinse it with cold water. Let it stand in colander for few mins. until all the water drain out.
4. Meanwhile prepare kimchi sauce or paste by mixing together garlic, ginger, sugar, korean pepper paste and fish sauce in a small bowl.
5. Now toss the veggies along with squeezed cabbage in prepared paste until thoroughly coated.
6. Put the kimchi into the air tight jar or container in such a way that the brine rises to cover the vegetables. Cover the jar with the lid and let it ferment for 3-5 days or even for a week at room temperature but meanwhile check the kimchi and turn the veggies occasionally. When the kimchi has been done refrigerate it.
photo source : 1