talat | Jan 8, 2015 | 0
Preparation time : 80 mins. | Serves 6 -8 persons
This Vegetarian Tamales recipe is taken from Mexican cuisine which is prepared with spicy masa dough wrapped in a corn husk. The tamale is a healthy food as it is prepared over steam and filling can be of meat, veggies, cheese, etc. so you have lots of variations in this recipe to make according to your flavor.
For Masa Dough:
4 cup masa harina
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 head roasted garlic
¼ cup fresh cilantro (minced)
4 cup vegetable stock
½ cup Sriracha or 1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin powder
2 stick butter
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 red onion (diced)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
8 oz button mushrooms (thinly sliced)
1 green bell pepper (diced)
1 small zucchini (diced)
2 tbsp ground cumin
1 cup fresh sweet corn (roasted)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
12 oz corn husks (soaked in warm water for at least 1 hour)
1. Cream butter in a stand mixer or using hand beater.
2. In a separate bowl combine masa harina, baking powder, cumin, chili powder and salt.
3. Add stock to the mixture and stir well.
4. Now combine butter and masa mixture together and beat again to make smooth and fluffy mixture. Transfer this mixture into another bowl and leave it for few mins.
5. Meanwhile prepare filling, for that heat oil in a heavy bottom pan, saute garlic and onion till garlic is fragrant but not turn into brown.
6. Now add all the veggies including zucchini, bell pepper, mushroom, cilantro and corn along with seasoning of salt, pepper and cumin. Cook the mixture for a while until veggies get slightly soft.
7. After that take a large corn husk (soaked in water) spread 1-2 tbsp of masa mixture at the center, put some veggies mixture and then seal the filling by folding the sides. Tie the wrapped tamale with another corn husk strip make sure that the filling has some space inside or should not be sealed tightly because masa dough would expand while cooking.
8. When all the tamales are ready, put them onto the large steamer basket and steam them until become firm and dough expands, it would take around 1 hour to cook.
9. Serve the vegetarian tamales immediately with fresh vegetable salad.
photo source : 1