Preparation time : 30 mins. + 4 hr. Fermentation time | Serves 8-10 persons
This dhokla recipe is from Indian cuisine which is very much nutritious as it is cooked on steam. It looks like cake but has some salty and little spicy flavor. At the end it is very important to sprinkle fried mustard seeds over the dhokla as it enhances its aroma and taste as well.
2 ½ cup graham flour
1 cup yogurt (beaten)
2 chopped green chili
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp chopped ginger
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp chopped green coriander
½ cup grated coconut
2 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
1. In a mixing bowl, combine graham flour, yogurt and lukewarm water to make smooth paste and have thick consistency.
2. Now add salt and leave it for 3-4 hrs. Don’t forget to cover the batter and keep at warm place.
3. Blend together green chilies and ginger.
4. When the flour batter is fermented add rest of the ingredients including ginger paste, turmeric powder, soda, 1 tsp oil and lemon juice.
5. Now take a greased baking pan and pour the batter into it, place the pan on steamer or take a deep pan and boil water until it starts steaming and then place the pan full of batter onto the steamed water and cook for 10-15 min.
6. When the batter becomes stiff or if knife is inserted it comes out clean then remove the pan from steam and let it cool to room temperature.
7. Cut the dhokla into square pieces.
8. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in frying pan and fry mustard seeds when seeds starts to crackle pour it onto the dhokla pieces and then garnish with green coriander and coconut.
photo source : 1