Preparation time : 30 mins. + 1 hr. Dough Resting time | Serves up to 32 pieces
This Mandazi Recipe is a famous East African fried doughnuts. The recipe is very simple and easy, they are usually fried but can also be prepared by baking method. You may also add some extra flavor to the mandazi like ground peanuts or almonds.
5 cup all purpose flour
3 tbsp dry milk powder
1 tsp baking powder
¾ cup oil
2 tbsp instant yeast
Oil for deep frying
Icing sugar for topping
1 cup coconut milk
Water as required
1. Combine all the ingredients except water and mix well using hands. Now gradually add water and start mixing. Knead the mixture well to form a smooth dough.
2. Place the dough into the deep bowl, cover with plastic and set aside for at least an hour until the dough rises to double.
3. After that punch the dough down to escape air from it and divide it into 6-8 small balls.
4. Take a piece of dough and roll it onto the floured surface to make it flat round shape of thickness around ½”. Then cut it into four equal parts using knife.
5. Similarly make roll out rest of the balls and cut them into pieces.
6. Heat oil for deep frying in a wok and fry the rolled pieces of dough in batches over medium heat till become golden brown from both sides. Stir the Mandazi while frying to cook evenly.
7. Serve the hot Mandazi with topping of icing sugar and a cup of tea.
photo source : 1