Preparation time : 70-80 mins | Serves 8 persons
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp shortening
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 eggs (beaten)
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 cup milk
3 tbsp lemon juice
1. In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. In another bowl, beat half of sugar and shortening using electric beater for 3-4 mins until a creamy batter would form.
3. After that add the eggs and lemon zest and beat again for 2-3 mins.
4. Gradually add flour mixture and milk to the batter and mix using rubber spatula.
5. Pour the batter into a greased baking pan and bake at 350 F for one hour. You can check it by inserting a tooth pick if it comes out clean then the bread is ready to take out from oven.
6. To prepare glaze for the bread dissolve the remaining sugar in the lemon juice and drizzle it over the warm bread and then cool it to room temperature.