Preparation time : 35 mins. + 1 hr. Dough Resting time | Serves 18 sandwich cookies
This Alfajores Recipe belongs to Spanish and Latin American cuisine where it is prepared like a sandwich. In the original recipe caramelized sweetened condensed milk is sandwiched between the cookies while in some other recipes it is also coated with coconut flakes or chocolate chips.
14 oz all-purpose flour
6 tbsp confectioner’s sugar
12 oz unsalted butter (chilled and cut into pieces)
½ cup water
Caramelized sweetened condensed milk as required
¼ tsp cinnamon powder
Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
1. In a food processor process together flour and sugar to make its texture like coarse meal. To do this give very short pulses and keep an eye on the processed mixture to get the desired texture.
2. Now add in water slowly while running the processor until the dough comes together.
3. Take the dough out of the processor container and punch it slightly onto the counter to make it smooth if necessary add some dust of flour. Make two flattened disks of the dough and then wrap them in the separate plastic sheets. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
4. After that, roll out one of the disk of dough and make it further flat around ¼ inch thickness and then make round cookies using cookie cutter. Place the cookies onto the parchment sheet spread over the cookie sheet. SImilarly prepare rest of the cookies.
5. Place the cookie sheet into the preheated oven at 350 degrees F for about 15 mins. till cookies become light golden from top.
7. Meanwhile combine cinnamon powder and caramelized condensed milk and set aside. You may also add spice of your choice like apple pie spice, allspice, etc.
8. Then cool the cookies to room temperature and spread 1-2 tsp of caramelized condensed milk mixture onto one of the cookie and place another cookies on its top just like sandwich. Similarly prepare rest of the Alfajor cookies and in the end dust some confectioner’s sugar on top.
9. Serve these Alfajores warm and if you want to store then don’t make sandwiches and keep the cookies into the air tight jar at room temperature.
photo source : 1