Preparation time : 50 min | Serves 4-6 persons
This Bengali fish recipe is also known as Macher Jhol in the Indian region. It is quite spicy and delicious in flavor and give more better taste if you use fresh fish but you will need to wash it properly with white vinegar and salt.
800 gm fish fillets
1½ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp salt
2/3 mustard oil
1 tbsp ground coriander seeds
1 tsp ground cumin seeds
1½ tsp finely grated ginger
½ tsp red chili powder
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
4 whole red chilies dried
2 bay leaves
1 large onion (chopped)
3 whole green chilies
1. Marinate fish with ½ tsp turmeric and salt for 15 min.
2. Heat gently mustard oil in a skillet and fry fish fillets over medium heat until become brown from both sides, it would take 5-8 min.
3. In a mixing bowl make a smooth paste of remaining spices including ground coriander seeds, the cumin, ginger, 1 tsp turmeric, chili powder and ½ tsp of salt. Add just 3 tbsp of water to mix.
4. In the same skillet, fry nigella seeds and bay leaves until splattering then add whole red chilies and when the chilies become dark add onion and fry until become light golden brown in color.
5. After that add the prepared spices paste and cook over medium heat for 1-2 min.
6. Then spread the fried fish fillets over the gravy, pour a cup of water over the fish and shake the skillet to mix water in the gravy. Simmer for 5-10 min then serve with boiled rice.
photo source : 1