Preparation time : 90 mins. | Yield 4 cups
This banana ketchup recipe is bit different from normal tomato ketchup recipe. Due to presence of vinegar it can be used within 2-3 months without opening jars. This ketchup gives different taste if small golden raisins are used which has also good flavor but lighter in color. Serve this banana ketchup with any fried stuff or potato pancakes.
1 cup dark raisins (seedless and soaked in water for 30 min.)
1 cup onion (coarsely chopped)
3-4 garlic cloves (minced)
6 oz tomato paste
2 cup vinegar
8 ripe bananas
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 tbsp salt (or to taste)
1 tsp cayenne pepper
½ cup light corn syrup
4 tsp ground allspice
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 ½ tsp nutmeg (grated)
1 t freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp ground cloves
1. Make smooth puree of raisins, onion, garlic, bananas and tomato paste in food processor. Add little amount of vinegar so that blend easily in the processor.
2. Pour the puree in a deep pan and add remaining vinegar, 4 cup water, brown sugar, salt and cayenne and bring the sauce to boil at medium heat. Stir in between so that sauce may not stick to the pan.
3. After that reduce the flame to low and simmer for 70 min until sauce gets thick like ketchup. If the sauce is too thick then add water accordingly.
4. Now add corn syrup, all spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper and cloves and cook on 15 min more so that all flavors incorporate well with each other.
5. Then remove the pan from heat, cool it to room temperature then fill in jars and serve after a day. You can use this banana ketchup for 2-3 weeks after opening the jar.