Preparation time : 20 min. | Serves 12-18 dosa
This recipe of masala dosa is from Indian cuisine and is typical madras dish which is famous among all South Asian countries. The main stuffing is prepared with potatoes while in some other varieties of dosa chicken or vegetable stuffing are also used. It tastes great when it is served with coconut chutney.
For Dosa Pancake:
3 cup rice (soaked in water for overnight)
1 cup white lentils (remove skins from black lentils) (soaked in water for overnight)
1 tbsp yogurt
Salt to taste
For the Potato Stuffing:
2 large boiled potatoes (mashed coarsely)
1 medium size onion (sliced)
1 tomato (chopped)
2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
1 tbsp ginger (finely chopped)
4 green chilies (chopped)
½ tsp mustard seed
1 tsp fennel seeds
3-4curry leaves (chopped)
¼ tsp cumin seeds
Preparation of Dosa:
1. To make Pancake, Make a thick smooth paste of rice and lentils with water.
2. Add some salt and yogurt and mix well. Cover the batter and leave for 3-4 hrs to rise.
3. When the batter seems to double than the initial quantity, then place it in fridge after stirring.
4. Now heat the skillet and grease with oil.
5. Pour 1 tbsp of batter into the center of skillet and quickly spread it evenly with spoon in circular direction to make a thin pancake.
Preparation of Filling:
6. In a sauce pan fry fennel, cumin and mustard seeds until they start to splatter.
7. After that add green chilies, ginger, garlic and onion and fry with salt for 1-2 mins until onion become transparent.
8. Then add curry leaves, tomatoes and cook for 5 mins more.
9. Now add potatoes and mix well in the mixture.
10. After that sprinkle some coriander leaves and remove the pan from heat.
11. When bubbles starts to appear on the surface sprinkle 2-3 drops of oil on it and turn its side and cook for just 1 min more.
Assembling of Masala Dosa:
12. Now put some prepared filling of potato in the center of pancake and roll it from both sides and serve with coconut chutney.