Preparation time : 30 mins. | Serves 4 persons
This sambhar recipe is from Indian cuisine which is prepared with red lentils and mix veggies. In this recipe of sambhar only onions and potatoes are used, you may also use some other veggies like radish, bell peppers, etc. It is usually served as side dish with traditional Indian breads or as main dish with boiled rice.
½ cup red lentils (masoor daal)
2 cups water
1 cup tamarind paste
2 green chilies
1medium size onion (chopped)
1 medium size potato (chopped)
1 cup water
½ tsp ground turmeric
3 tsp sambhar powder
1 cup coriander leaves (chopped)
Salt to taste
1 tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp fenugreek seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
1 red chili
1 tbsp Oil
3-4 curry leaves
1. Rinse lentils with water and bring to boil in sauce pan with 2 cups of water. Cover the pan and let the lentils cook on medium heat.
2. In a sauce pan fry mustard, fenugreek, cumin, red chili and curry leaves until become brown and roasted smell starts to come.
3. After that add green chilies and chopped vegetables and sauté for 2-3 mins.
4. Add tamarind paste, 1 cup water, salt, turmeric and sambhar powder. Mix and cook by simmering on low heat for 5-8 mins until veggies become tender and the entire flavor mix well to form a thick sauce(if necessary add cornstarch).
5. Take out the sambhar in serving bowl, sprinkle some coriander leaves and serve with boiled rice or flat bread.