Preparation time : 50-60 min. | Serves 8 flat breads
This Syrian bread recipe is quite similar to pita bread; the only difference is that pocket is not necessary in this bread as it is not usually used as sandwich. It is better to knead this dough in dough mixer to save time and knead the dough properly but you can also make without it as describe below.
1 1/8 cup water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
½ tsp white sugar
1 ½ tsp salt
10 oz all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp instant yeast
½ cup sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Take a wide mixing bowl or spread the flour on your kitchen counter to knead the dough properly.
3. Make a well of flour and add rest of the ingredients except water in the well.
4. Start mixing the ingredients with flour slowly so that every ingredients incorporate with the flour well.
5. After that slowly add water and start kneading the dough until become smooth and should not stick to your hands.
6. Leave the dough at room temperature for 30 min until it would rise to almost double.
7. Make eight equal pieces of dough and shape it to round balls.
8. Roll each of the balls in flat circular shape of ¼ in. thick, the size of the bread has to be 6-8 in. diameter.
9. Coat the rolled dough with sesame seeds and then bake them on baking stone until become golden brown and puffed up, baking time of each bread would be 4-6 min.
photo source : 1