Preparation time: 50 mins. | Serves 6-8 persons
This Dobos Torte Recipe is a Hungarian Cake that is prepared by layering sponge, chocolate buttercream, and caramel sauce. Unlike other cream cakes, this cake has a very thin sponge which is cut into squares and then stacked with buttercream.
6 oz powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
2¼ tbsp cornstarch
Pinch of salt
For Chocolate Butter Cream:
1 cup bittersweet chocolate (chopped)
3 sticks of unsalted butter
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1¼ cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1½ cup sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
½ cup sugar
1. Sift together 3-5 times flour, cornstarch, and salt.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat together egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla until become creamy.
3. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.
4. Fold the egg whites in the egg yolk batter using a rubber spatula.
5. After that gradually add the dry mixture and fold it nicely with the batter so that a uniform smooth batter would form.
6. Take two cookie sheets or thin rectangular baking sheets, grease them, and spread the prepared batter evenly.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 5-8 mins. Make sure that the sponge should not over bake otherwise it would become dry.
8. Meanwhile when the cake is baking, melt the chocolate over boiling water or in the microwave.
9. Beat butter with sugar until become fluffy, then add vanilla and cocoa and beat at low speed until it becomes smooth.
10. Now combine cocoa batter with melted chocolate and mix them well. Your buttercream is ready.
11. To prepare caramel sauce, combine sugar, lemon juice, and water in a saucepan and cook the mixture at medium heat. When all the sugar dissolves completely, cook it further until the syrup turns into golden brown color and is thick. Stir continuously while cooking to avoid burning the sauce.
12. When the sponge has been done, cover it with a parchment sheet and cool it to room temperature. Cut both sponges into 2-inch squares.
13. Now start making layers of sponge squares and chocolate buttercream, first place a square at the base then top it with buttercream then place another square, and continue it till the end. Make sure that the top layer will be of sponge square.
14. Now apply the prepared caramel sauce on the top square to cover it completely from the top.
15. Keep the Dobos Torte in the fridge for 15 mins. to set and then serve.
photo source : 1