This Greek cake is prepared in variety of fashion but this cake is prepared with honey and lemon flavor. No sugar is used in the preparation of cake so diabetic patients could also taste this cake.
5 oz butter
4 tbsp honey
2 tbsp lemon zest
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 egg whites
1 cup white flour
Pinch of nutmeg and mace powder
2 tsp baking powder
5 oz milk
2 tbsp sesame
3 tbsp semolina
2 oz gm butter
2 tbsp honey
1. To make sponge for the Greek cake take a pan add butter in it with honey and cook over medium heat till combine well.
2. Then add lemon juice, lemon zest and milk and cook it further for 2 to 3 mins. then turn off the flame and let the mixture cool to room temperature.
3. Gently beat egg whites till stiff peaks are formed.
4. Now in a large mixing bowl bowl, sift together white flour, baking powder and nutmeg and mace powder.
5. Alternately add milk and semolina to the dry mixture and mix using whisk.
6. When all the ingredients incorporate well fold it with egg whites. Transfer the batter in a greased baking pan. Sprinkle sesame on top and bake it for 375 degrees F for 30 min till become golden brown from top and knife inserted comes out clean..
7. Meanwhile prepare syrup for the cake, take a pan add butter with honey and cook till combine well then remove from heat.
8. When the sponge is ready, drizzle prepared syrup over it and let it cool to room temperature. Then cut into slices before serving.
photo source : 1