Preparation time : 30 min. | Serves 6 persons
This chicken chimichangas was inspired by the original copycat Chi-Chi’s chicken Chimichangas. It is nothing but a piece of baked stuffed tortilla filled with tasty flavors of Chi-Chi’s salsa, chicken and refried beans.
½ cup chopped onion
2 medium garlic cloves (minced)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup chili powder
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ cup water
16 oz Mexican salsa (preferably chi-chi’s salsa)
Salt to taste
1 lb cooked boneless chicken (shredded)
1 cup refried beans (preferably chi-chi’s refried beans)
10-inch flour tortillas (as required)
Olive oil for brushing
1. In a sauce pan, sauté onion and garlic in oil for just 2 min until become soft.
2. Add salsa, chili powder, cumin, water and cinnamon and mix well.
3. When all the ingredients mix well, remove the pan from heat and pour the mixture into the food processor. Process the mixture so that smooth paste would form.
4. Cook the processed mixture with shredded chicken in the same sauce pan and add salt according to taste. Cook for 3-4 min.
5. Now take a piece of salsa and put 1 tbsp of refried beans in the center, put some prepared chicken mixture onto the refried beans and wrap the tortilla in such a way that it seals from every side, tie the ends with toothpick so that stuffing would not come out. Similarly prepare rest of the rolls.
6. Place the prepared tortilla wraps in a greased baking tray and then brush each of them with olive oil. Bake for just 15 min in preheated oven for 425 degrees F until tortilla become golden brown from top and crisp. Turn the sides after every 5 min.
7. Serve the hot chicken chimichangas with salsa and sour cream.
photo source : 1