Preparation time : 50 mins. | Serves 6-8 persons
This Apple Tarte Tatin Recipe is one of delicious form of apple pie. It is covered with puff pastry layer from top only and then presented after turning it over onto the platter. In this way, this tarte tin shows the beautiful arrangement of apple slices from top and looks more appealing than the traditional apple pie.
17.25 oz frozen puff pastry sheet (thawed)
½ stick unsalted butter (softened)
½ cup + 2 tbsp sugar
3 lb gala apples (peeled, quartered and cored)
1 egg white (lightly beaten with 1 tbsp of water)
1. Take a 10-inch round ovenproof cast iron skillet; melt butter in it over medium heat.
2. Add ½ cup sugar and just 2-3 tbsp of water and cook it over medium-low heat until sugar caramelize completely.
3. When the caramel is ready, place the quartered apple pieces over the sauce so that the apple layer covers the pan completely and there would no vacant place.
4. Sprinkle 2 tbsp of sugar onto the apples and then place the pan over heat diffuser and cook over medium heat until bubbles start to appear on top. It would take around 10-15 mins.
5. Meanwhile, roll the pastry dough onto the counter using flour to a 10-11 inch rough shape. Cut it into 10-inch round shape using plate or any round shape cutter.
6. When the apples with sauce are ready, cover the top with the rolled pastry dough and seal it completely by pressing the dough from the edges and folding it in at the edges. Make marks ar few places using knife-edge so that steam would easily escape out. Apply the egg wash on top with brush.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for about 20 mins. until becomes golden brown from top.
8. When the Apple Tarte Tatin is ready, take it out from oven and cool for at least 15 mins. then turn it over carefully onto the serving platter and slowly remove the pan. Don’t try to shake it while it is hot otherwise apple with fall apart.
photo source : 1