This khichdi recipe is from South Asian cuisine, it is very much popular in that region just because it is simple, nutritious and easy to prepare at home. Mostly it is prepared for patients but its taste becomes more delicious when it is served with red chili chutney and tomato onion chutney.
Preparation time : 30 mins. | Serves 6 persons
1 cup rice (soaked in water for 30 mins)
1 cup small yellow lentils (Moong daal)
1 cinnamon stick
1 green cardamom
1 medium size tomato
Water as required
Salt to taste
1 medium size onin (julienne)
2-3 dry red chilies
1/2 cup oil
1. In a deep sauce pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and fry cinnamon, cloves and cardamom in it for 1-2 mins.
2. Now add yellow lentils, salt, tomato and add 2-3 cups of water so that all the lentils completely dip in the water. Leave the lentils to cook for 10-15 mins. until become tender.
3. After that add rice to the lentils and add enough water so that all the rice grains completely dip in it and water level should 2 inc. above the rice.
4. Let it cook for 8-10 mins. until rice become soft and the mixture starts to get thick.
5. Mean while fry onions and red chilies in remaining oil until become crispy.
6. When rice becomes completely soft sprinkle the fried onions and chilies with oil on top and then serve it hot.