Preparation time: 60 mins. (approx.) | Serves 4-6 persons
This Koshari Recipe is a famous Egyptian meal prepared with black lentils, rice, macaroni, and tomato sauce. This food has not only good taste but also a healthy meal for everyone. In order to save cooking time, you can engage all your three stoves for cooking rice, lentils, and macaroni side by side.
2 cups brown or white rice (soaked in water for 30 mins.)
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp cayenne pepper
4 cup chicken stock
Salt to taste
2 cups black lentils (soaked in water for 15 mins.)
1 bay leaf
4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil
2 onions (chopped)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
4 cup tomato sauce
1 tsp crushed black pepper
Salt to taste
16 elbow macaroni
1/2 cup boiled chickpea
1 large onion (fried)
Preparation of Rice:
1. Heat oil in a deep saucepan, add cumin, bay leaf, rice, and cayenne pepper and cook for 2-3 mins. until all ingredients incorporate well.
2. Add chicken stock and salt and cook over high heat till the mixture starts bubbling and rice appears on the surface, then reduce the heat to simmer, cover and cook for 10-15 mins. until the rice is completely done.
Preparation of Lentils:
1. In another saucepan, cook lentils with garlic, bay leaf, salt, and enough water to cover the lentils. Cook over high heat till starts boiling, then reduce the heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 20-30 mins. until the lentils are done.
2. After that discard garlic, bay leaf, and all the water from the lentils and set aside.
Preparation of Macaroni:
1. In another pan, boil water with salt, then add macaroni and cook for 10-12 mins. until it is cooked thoroughly.
Preparation of Sauce:
1. In a heavy bottom pan, heat oil and sauté onion and garlic in it for 2-3 mins. until becomes transparent.
2. Add tomato sauce, black pepper, and salt and cook over medium heat for 8-10 mins. or until oil appears on the surface.
1. Now combine cooked rice, lentils, and macaroni and toss them carefully using soft hands.
2. Transfer the mixture onto the serving platter, drizzle the prepared sauce onto the mixture, and top with some fried onions and chickpeas.
3. Delicious and healthy Egyptian Koshari is ready to serve.
photo source : 1