Preparation time : 60 mins. | Serves 2-4 persons
This lentil rice is prepared with whole red lentils and is called Masoor Daal Pulao in traditional Pakistani cuisine. It can also be prepared with other lentils like large yellow lentils using the same method.
4 cup long grain rice (soaked in water for 30 mins.)
1 cinnamon stick
2 green cardamoms
1 black cardamom
2 bay leaves
1 tsp whole black pepper
1 tsp black cumin
2-inch ginger piece (chopped)
8-10 garlic cloves
8-10 fresh green chilies
3 red tomatoes (chopped)
Salt to taste
¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
¼ cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
4-5 whole green chilies
2 cup oil
¾ cup red lentil rice with skin
1 tbsp ginger paste
1 tsp red pepper
3 cup chicken stock
Salt to taste
1. In a saucepan boil lentils with chicken stock, red pepper, ginger paste and salt till become ¾ done. It would require 30-45 mins.
2. Make smooth paste of ginger, garlic and green chilies and set aside.
3. Take another deep saucepan to cook rice, fry whole spices including cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, black pepper and cardamoms in oil till become fragrant.
4. Then add ginger garlic and green chili paste along with chopped tomatoes and cook till tomatoes get tender and form smooth gravy.
5. When oil starts to appear on the surface add salt, black cumin, rice, mint leaves, coriander leaves, whole green chilies and boiled lentils with stock (make sure stock is hot).
6. Stir well and ensure that stock level must be 1-inch above the rice surface, if not then add equal amount of hot water. Cover and cook the rice over high heat till rice starts to absorb liquid and appear on to the surface, then reduce the flame to very low and cook till rice and lentils tender completely.
7. Delicious lentil rice is ready to serve with raita and chicken curry.
photo source : 1