Preparation time : 60 mins. (approx.) | Serves 8 persons
Rigatoni Pie is one of a famous Italian pie which can be called as pasta cheesecake. The recipe consists of meat sauce, rigatoni and three cheese flavors. The best rigatoni pie can be made only when all the pasta are stuffed well so that the pie would not get dry from inside. It is preferred to use wide shape rigatoni for getting better result and easy stuffing.
1 lb wide rigatoni pasta
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 lb ground beef
28 oz crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Italian seasoning
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
1½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
4 oz ricotta cheese
1½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Boil rigatoni in salted water for 5-8 mins. or until they just become soft to handle easily.
2. When rigatoni has been done, drain and then stir in olive oil.
3. Now heat butter in a pan, add ground beef and cook over medium-high heat until turn into brown. Drain extra fat from the beef and return to the pan.
4. Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and mix well. Reduce the heat to simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 mins.
5. When the beef mixture is ready and has texture like sauce, then remove the pan from heat and set aside.
6. Stir the cooked rigatoni with half of the parmesan cheese until well-coated.
7. Then take a greased 9” springform pan, start placing rigatoni vertically into the pan until it is packed completely.
8. When rigatoni pasta set well in the pan, make a layer of ricotta cheese evenly over the pasta, then spread the prepared beef sauce on it and press with clean hands to carefully push the meat sauce down into the rigatoni. It is the main step of this recipe, by cleanly inserting sauce into the rigatoni holes, the better result you will obtain.
9. After that place the pan into the preheated oven at 400 degrees F for 15 mins. then remove it and sprinkle remaining cheeses separately including parmesan and mozzarella. Place the pan in oven again and bake it for further 15 mins. until becomes brown from top and starts bubbling.
10. Take out the pan from oven; allow it to stand in the springform pan for 15 mins. Then, carefully pass the knife edge along the sides of the pan, remove the sides of the springform pan and then slice it and serve immediately.