Preparation time : 30 mins | Serves 6 persons
This pita sandwich is modified form of falafel sandwich in which green yogurt sauce is used in the assembling of sandwich and in preparation of garbanzo patties, flour is used to bind the mixture. The modification of these results in great healthy sandwich snack. For more ideas on making sandwiches, refer to the book, Nancy Silverton’s Sandwich Book, which contains dozens of unusual ideas on making great sandwiches.
1 cp boiled garbanzo beans
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1/2 cup coriander leaves
¼ cup mint leaves
½ cup green onions (chopped only green parts)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tspn coriander powder
1 tspn cumin powder
Salt to taste
1 tspn paprika powder
All purpose flour as required (to bind mixture)
Olive oil for shallow frying
Pita bread as required
Sliced tomatoes as required
Salad leaves as required
Green yogurt sauce as required
1. Take a blender or food processor and add green onions, garlic, coriander and mint leaves, garbanzo beans and bread crumbs and blend them well to form a smooth paste.
2. Now add spices and seasonings into the puree including coriander powder, cumin powder, salt and paprika and blend until all the flavors mixes well in the mixture.
3. After that take out the mixture into a mixing bowl and add flour into it so that it would shape into patties shape easily.
4. Now make medium size patties of the mixture and shallow fry each of them in a frying pan for 8-10 minutes until they become golden brown in color.
5. To make falafel sandwich cut each pita from middle and fill the pocket with garbanzo patties, sliced tomatoes, salad leaves and green yogurt sauce.