This fish biryani recipe is one of a famous biryani from South Asian cuisine, its method of preparation is slightly different as fish is quite delicate as compare to chicken and beef and when is cooking with other ingredient like rice in this recipe then it should be handle properly and its bines should not mix with the rice. To prepare good biryani fish must be fresh and large size otherwise small fish would not go good with biryani.
½ kg fish (any kind of fish having whole weight of around 3 – 4 kg)
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp cumin powder
Salt to taste
1½ tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp hot mix spice powder
3 medium onion (thinly sliced)
2 tomatoes (chopped)
1 cup yogurt
½ tsp nutmeg and mace powder
4 bunches fresh fenugreek leaves
1 cup Oil
For Fish :
2 tbsp yogurt
2 tbsp garlic paste
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp red chili powder
½ tsp carom seeds
1 tbsp graham flour
½ cup oil
For Assembling :
750 gm long grain rice
6 green chilies
¼ cup coriander leaves (chopped)
¼ cup fresh mint leaves (chopped)
¼ tsp yellow color
2 cinnamon sticks
3 green cardamoms
1 black cardamom
1 bay leaf
Salt to taste
1. Marinate fish with the ingredients mentioned for fish and leave it for at least 30 min.
2. To prepare curry, heat oil in a shallow frying pan and fry onions till become crispy golden brown.
3. Then add fenugreek leaves, ginger garlic paste, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt,stir well and let it cook over medium heat for 2-3 mins.
4. Add chopped tomatoes and simmer for 10 min till tomatoes get soft and cook over medium-high heat till oil starts to separate from the gravy.
5. Turn off the flame, add in yogurt, mix well and keep it aside.
6. Heat oil in a frying pan to fry fish, fry turn the fish after 3 min and fry for further 3 min. Make sure the heat level should be medium-high and don’t over cook the fish as it has to cook in curry as well.
7. Place fried fish pieces on top of the gravy, sprinkle hot mix spice powder and nutmeg and mace powder and simmer for 5-8 min so that curry absorbs the flavor of fish. Then carefully take out the fish pieces from the curry and set aside.
8. Boil water to cook rice with cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, bay leaf, salt and vinegar. Add rice and cook till rice become half done, drain all the excess water and set aside.
9. Take a deep sauce pan, place half of the rice at the bottom and spread evenly, pour the prepared curry over the rice, spread coriander leaves, mint and green chilies, cover with remaining rice, carefully place the fish pieces on top of rice and in the end drizzle the yellow food color in the center. Cover the lid and cook over high heat for about 5-8 min till steam starts to come on the surface and then reduce the flame to low and allow it to cook on steam for about 15-20 min.
10. When the rice cook completely and steam starts to escape from the lid, first take out the fish pieces and place it separately on the platter, then take out the rice and place fish pieces on the top of rice to serve.
photo source : 1