Preparation time : 70 min. | Serves 810 persons
This praline cake is prepared with coffee flavor and praline with pecan. The sponge is also prepared with coffee but has additional coco flavor which enhances the taste of this cake.
4 eggs (separated)
½ cup sugar
1 cup flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tbsp coco powder
½ tbsp coffee powder
¾ cup sugar
2 tbsp cold water
5-6 oz walnut or pecan (chopped)
1 cup whipping cream
½ cup icing sugar
1 cup milk
1½ tsp coffee powder
1. In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites till stiff peaks are formed.
2. Beat egg yolks until it gets thin then beat with sugar to make foamy mixture.
3. Sift together baking powder, coco powder and flour.
4. Gradually add the dry mixture to the yolk mixture till become smooth, then add coffee and mix it well.
5. Now fold the coffee batter with the egg whites using spatula so that air would not escape out and batter would remain fluffy.
6. POur the batter into the greased baking pan, bake for 25 to 30 min. at 350 degrees F.
7. Meanwhile prepare topping for the cake, for that dissolve coffee and 1 tbsp sugar in milk and set aside.
8. Beat cream with icing sugar and ½ tsp of coffee until become thick and fluffy.
9. To prepare praline, place sugar and water in a small saucepan over high heat.
10. When syrup gets thick remove the pan from heat, on a wax paper spread chopped pecans and pour the prepared syrup over it so that pecan completely soak in the syrup. Reserve ¼ quantity of syrup and pour it into another sheet. Then allow the praline to cool, when the praline get hard break the pecan praline into pieces and crush the plane praline.
11. Now divide the prepared sponge into two halves, pour the coffee-milk syrup on both the halves, spread half of the cream at the top of bottom piece, sprinkle some pecan praline. Place another sponge piece over the cream and then cover it with the remaining cream, sprinkle both the praline on top as you want and chilled for an hour before serving.
photo source : 1