This Chicken Pozole is a famous Mexican style soup prepared with chicken stock, hominy and tomatillos with spicy flavor of jalapeno. The soup can be served in variety of ways for instance, some diced fresh veggies, Mexican cheese and tortillas.
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 small onion (sliced in half)
4 large cloves of garlic (peeled and chopped)
2 jalapeños, seeded and quarter
1 lb tomatillos (husked and halved)
9 oz hominy (drained and rinsed)
1 tbsp crumbled dried oregano (Mexican style)
1 whole chicken (cut into parts)
3 quarts water
1 tbsp salt
1 avocado (peeled and chopped)
1 large bunch cilantro (chopped)
Several red radishes (thinly sliced)
2 limes (cut into wedges)
Tostadas or tortilla chips
1. In a pot, saute onion, garlic, jalapeno and tomatillos for just 2-3 mins. Remove the veggies from pot.
2. In the same pot place chicken pieces with about 3 quarts of water and salt, bring to boil and let it cook for 30 mins. till chicken tenders completely.
3. Then take out the chicken pieces from the stock and let it cool.
4. Now take out the meat from the bone using fork and set aside. Return the bones to the stock pot and continue to simmer the bones, uncovered, for another half an hour.
5. Put sauted veggies, hominy and 1-2 cup of chicken stock in a blender and make smooth paste.
6. Remove bones from stock, add blended puree and oregano in the pot and let it cook for 20 mins.
7. When the soup is ready, take it out into the serving bowl, garnish with tortilla chips, lime wedges, shredded chicken pieces, avocado and fresh cilantro. Sprinkle some seasoning of salt and pepper if necessary.
photo source : 1