This chicken kiev recipe is taken from Ukrainian cuisine, it is basically fried chicken stuffed with butter, garlic and herb mixture. You may either cook it by frying or baking method. It is usually served with any kind of mash like mashed potatoes or mashed beans. You may also bring variations in the stuffing like adding spinach and cheese as we do for making chicken roulade.
4 boneless chicken breast (pounded to 1/4″)
½ package unsalted butter (softened to room temperature)
¼ cup fresh Italian Parsley (chopped)
1 tsp tarragon
2-3 garlic cloves (minced)
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
2 large eggs (beaten with 2 tbsp water)
Bread crumbs as required
Flour as required
1. In a medium size mixing bowl, combine butter, parsley, tarragon, salt and pepper. Beat until well blended.
2. Now spread a plastic sheet on your counter and make a log of butter mixture on it, wrap it to form a roll and twist the ends to seal. Put it in fridge for at least an hour to set.
3. After that spread another plastic sheet on the counter, place one of a breast piece on it, put ¼ butter mixture and 2 tbsp bread crumbs at one side and start rolling, then insert toothpicks at the end and twist the upper and lower ends to seal.
4. Similarly wrap the rest of chicken breasts and then refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
5. Now heat oil for deep frying, dust each chicken roll with flour, then dip in beaten eggs and then coat with breadcrumbs. Fry them over medium heat for 8-10 mins. till become golden brown from both sides.
6. Serve the hot chicken kiev after cutting into pieces with mashed potatoes.
photo source : 1