Preparation time: 40 mins. + Dough Resting Time | Serves 2 dozen (approx.)
This Boston Cream Doughnut is a mini form of Boston cream pie. It is prepared in three steps; first doughnuts are made, then fill doughnuts with vanilla pastry cream, and then top with a special chocolate glaze. In the end, a yummy cream-filled doughnut with delicious chocolate topping is ready to eat.
1 cup lukewarm milk
5 oz sugar
2 pack instant yeast
2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
6 oz butter (melted and cooled)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
12.75 oz bread flour
4.5 oz all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
Oil for deep frying
4 cups vanilla pastry cream
4 oz unsalted butter
¼ cup whole milk
1 tbsp light corn syrup
5 oz bittersweet chocolate (finely chopped)
1 tsp vanilla extract
8 oz confectioners’ sugar
Preparation of Doughnuts:
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tbsp sugar in lukewarm milk, cover, and set aside for 5 mins. until the mixture becomes foamy. It shows your yeast is active.
2. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, butter, and vanilla and set aside.
3. Sift together flour, bread flour, and salt and put this mixture into the stand mixer bowl.
4. Add remaining sugar, milk mixture, and egg mixture, start the machine at low speed until all the ingredients incorporate well, then increase the speed to medium-high and beat until dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and form smooth and elastic dough. Meanwhile mixing, stop the machine and keep scrapping the dough mixture from the sides.
5. Now transfer the dough into a large greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and keep it in a warm place for 2 hrs. or refrigerate overnight.
6. After that place the dough onto the floured surface and roll the dough to make it flat around 0.5-inch thick.
7. Using a round cookie cutter cut the dough into round doughnuts. Place these doughnuts onto the baking sheet lined with parchment paper and keep the tray in a warm place for an hour.
8. Heat oil for deep frying in a wok or deep fryer, transfer the doughnuts carefully as doughnuts are delicate, and then put them one by one into the fryer.
9. When the doughnuts become golden brown from both sides, carefully transfer them onto the shallow strainer and let them cool for 5 mins.
Preparation Of Glaze:
10. Now prepare the glaze for the doughnuts, for that you need to cook together butter, milk, and corn syrup until well combined.
11. Add chocolate and reduce the heat to low and whisk the mixture well.
12. When all the chocolate mixes well in the sauce, add vanilla, sugar, and mix until becomes smooth.
13. Remove the pan from heat and place the pan over warm water so that it would get hard or stiff.
14. Now to stuff the doughnuts, make small holes using chopsticks in the center from the side. Fill the pastry cream into the piping bag and insert the piping bag tip into the hole. Fill around 2-3 tbsp of cream inside each of the doughnuts.
15. When all the doughnuts are stuffed with vanilla pastry cream then, dip them from the top into the prepared chocolate glaze and let stand for 30 mins. until the topping sets nicely.
16. Serve the delicious homemade Boston Cream Doughnuts as a snack.
photo source : 1